Really Really Free Market at “Bank of America” for International Women’s Day!
Create a Really Really Free Market for International Women’s Day, March 8th at Bank of America!
A Really Really Free Market is a potluck of whatever you want to give and take away to nurture and support community. It can be food, skills, plants, clothing, books, ideas, songs and others things.
Bank of America is officially rated the biggest, scariest bank. It holds assets equal to roughly one-seventh of the country’s gross domestic product, making it too large and complex to manage or regulate properly. Over the last ten years, the top 5 execs at Bank of America have been awarded $518.8 million in bonuses and compensation. CEO Brian Moynihan received a $9.05 million bonus in 2010. Over the past 2 years, Bank of America has invested over $4.3 billion (more than any other bank) in the coal industry, one of the biggest threats to public health and climate stability.
Let’s create the community that Bank of America is not!
Basics to Getting Started:
* Find a Bank of America in your town or city.
* Pick a time: chose a time when your free market will be the most visible.
* Brainstorm what kind of free market you’d like to organize, for example, Occupy protesters in San Francisco organized a People’s Food Bank of America as a free food market alternative. Go through your closet, encourage friends and family to bring items or ideas to share.
* Spread the word: Once you’ve chosen the Bank of America location, the type of free market and time; it’s time to spread the word about the event. There are many ways to do this: submit your event to the WomenOccupy calendar; sidewalk chalk in front of Bank of America: ask a question? sidewalk chalk up and down the street and get people thinking; word of mouth; make an announcement at your Occupy (GA) general assembly; flier a local event; use social media: post on Twitter, update your Facebook status and create an events page; add to your personal blog.
* Press Release: submit a press release to your local media. Press release template coming soon!
* Make a sign: You can easily create words with house paint and markers on found cardboard.
The Day of the Free Market:
- Have blankets to lie on the ground for free and shared items.
- Have a mailing list that people can sign to stay in touch.
- Have flyers available explaining the purpose of protesting Bank of America on International Women’s Day.
- Print out talking points. Coming soon!
Capture the Moment:
-Assign a volunteer to photograph, film and/or live stream (ustream) the action. Flickr link to post photos coming soon!
-Assign a volunteer to live tweet from the action. Use hashtag #woccupy #iwd
Leave No Trace Behind:
Make sure the location is left clean, if not significantly nicer than before.